John Kelly, RB – Tennessee
5’9″ – 215 | JR
DOB: 10/04/1996 (21)
RB Rank: 4
Pass Game Strengths
- Natural pass-catcher with very good hands.
- Runs crisp routes out of the backfield and creates separation from linebackers playing man-coverage.
- Reliable blocker in pass protection. Displays good technique in picking up blitzing defenders and chipping defensive ends off the edge.
Run Game Strengths
- Runs with an extremely low pad level.
- Very good balance. Seems to stay on his feet and regain upright position after contact.
- Breaks tackles with ease by consistently driving his feet.
- Excellent agility and uses a variety of jukes and jump cuts to make defenders miss with ease.
- Has the ability to get skinny through tiny holes in the offensive line.
- Good vision. He sees holes and can compensate accordingly to find his way through them.
- Has the ability to get around the edge with quick acceleration and agility.
- Quick recognition off the handoff and easily avoids approaching contact. (One of the best traits of last year’s draft sleeper Kareem Hunt.)
Pass Game Weaknesses
- Not super strong in pass protection, largely in part to his 5’9” stature.
Run Game Weaknesses
- Long speed is completely absent from his game.
- Does not have homerun explosiveness.
- Does seem to initiate contact with opposing defenders when he could easily simply run by them and as a result, may wear him down more quickly than he should
John Kelly will be the most underrated player in the entire 2018 running back class when it is all said and done. His physical style of running combined with the slick agility will prove to be deadly for opposing NFL defenses. Though he is not a home run type of player, he finds success by consistently gathering chunks of yards at a time. His twitchy and violent running style will surely lead to him winning a large role in his NFL team’s offense. With the ability to play on all three downs, expect to hear Kelly’s name more and more once he enters the league and finds himself as a top 20 starting running back.
NFL Draft Prediction
Early 4th Round
NFL Player Comparison
Kelly will be on my radar beginning around the 1.10 mark in rookie drafts. Considering his value will likely be considerably lower than that, I would not feel comfortable allowing him to slip past the early 2nd.
Kelly will use his three-down skill set to immediately contribute to a large role in the NFL and make both NFL teams and dynasty teams regret passing on him.